I live in Cleveland Indians country. Quite a few people I work with are HUGE Indians fans. This was the second year in a row I organized a trip to Jacobs Field for the annual Indians/Red Sox game. This year we had 9 people go to the game. (Unfortunately, I forgot my camera so no pictures)
Boston came to Cleveland for a 3 game series starting Monday. My friends from work and I went to the game on Wednesday, but I also got to go to Monday's game too! My buddy Steve's girlfriend has season tickets so we used those to go to the Monday night game. We had phenomenal seats - right behind the Indians dugout, 15 rows up. Knuckleballer Tim Wakefield was the starter for Boston and last season's 25 game winner Cliff Lee took the mound for the Indians. Both pitchers were excellent, Wakefield gave up 1 hit in 8 innings! Going into the 9th the game was tied 0-0 (this may sound boring, but it was actually very exciting because there were a ton of awesome defensive plays and almost every inning had base runners due to walks, beans, and errors). The Indians high price closer, Kerry Wood, pitched the 9th and absolutely got shelled! Boston had 5 hits in the 9th, including a 3 run homer!! Jonathon Paplebon closed out the bottom of the 9th (and gave up a rare earned run) and the Sox won the game 3-1.
Wednesday had Jon Lester pitching for Boston and Fausto Carmona for Cleveland. Boston quickly went down 2-0 in the 1st, 3-0 by the second, and 5-0 by the 4th inning... I was getting hammered by all my friends at this point (which was only fair because I had been talking trash for the last month haha) I kept reassuring them that the game was young and that the Indians' bullpen sucks. Sure enough, as soon the Indians went to their middle relief pitchers the Red Sox started swinging the bats. Boston scored 2 runs in the 6th and 3 runs in the 8th to tie the game at 5-5!! The game needed a 10th inning to determine a winner. That morning Boston called up Jonathon Van Every from AAA Pawtucket to play for the injured J.D. Drew. It was his first game in the big leagues (he entered the game with a 0.00 batting average haha) and man did he make an impression. Not only did he hit a 2 RBI single in the 8th inning that tied the score, in the 10th he hit a solo home run!!!!! It was unbelievable! I was yelling so loud that I practically lost my voice haha Paplebon came in to pitch the bottom of the 10th and secured his 6th save of the season and the Red Sox's 12th win in 13 games.
Go SOX!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
NICE! So glad to see you're still a Sox fan.
Oh yea -- I'm definately a permanent SOX fan! Next trip to Boston, we have to go to a game at Fenway...
Post a Comment