Wednesday, January 21, 2009

'08 - out with a BANG!

2008 was a great year for me. Lots of new "stuff" -- newly single, new State, new apartment, new job, new car, new friends, etc.... Couldn't have asked for it to be any better!

I planned on celebrating the year's finale at my friend Bob's house. Bob and his wife, Kristie, bought a house in Greece this past summer and wanted to play Hostest-with-the-Mostest. There were a about a dozen people planning on going - I was anticipating having a good time and ending '08 with a bang. Beware of what you wish for...... end with a BANG it did.

Before the end-of-year party, I headed over to my Fraternity brother TJ's house in Charlotte for dinner (TJ's wife is an awesome cook, and I'm a sucker for a good dinner). My jacket/hat/gloves were soaking wet from snowblowing the driveway earlier in the day, therefore - much to the chagrin of my mother - I went out without a coat. (For those that don't remember, it was +10 F that day)
The main roads were totally clear of snow, but once I turned onto Stone Rd the conditions took a turn for the worse. The road was snow covered with only asphault ruts to drive in. I was following a pickup truck doing no more than 30mph when the truck started braking - for a car turning left. I also braked, but immediately starting sliding. I knew I wasn't going to be able to stop the car in time. I quickly yanked the steering wheel right and tried to direct the car into the front yard of the adjacent house. The snow hidden curb forcefully put an end to that plan as I slammed the curb followed by my rear to swinging out into the road and impacting the truck!

Fortunately, no one was hurt (I wasn't going very fast to begin with), and unbelievably I didn't pop a tire - but I was firmly stuck in the snow bank. A snow plow was nice enough to stop and pull my car out of the snow.




One of my first thoughts after getting out of the car was "HOLY MOLY it's cold out! I wish I wore a coat...."

My car is due at the autobody shop on Monday for an estimated $1,700 repair job.

Happy New Year to me!

1 comment:

Bob Welch said...

Stop abusing the Beemer. The German car police will be after you.