Monday, December 1, 2008

Ray's MTB

There's a place in Cleveland called Ray's MTB (check out the link, it has pictures). Its a giant indoor mountain bike park. Its open during the winter and closed during the summer - since everyone is riding outdoors when the weather is nice.

Ray's is the only place of its kind in the country. While there, I've talked to people who've traveled from Michigan; Ontario, Canada; and Lake George, NY, specifically to go to Ray's. I went last winter a couple of times with some friends from work. Needless to say, its awesome!

It is located in an old warehouse outside of downtown. Ray converted the empty warehouse into a mountain biking sanctuary - complete with trails (which includes logs and rocks), a two story cross-country course, beginner and expert rooms, and a trick bike room complete with a foam pit (I'll get to the foam pit in a bit...) There is one trail that has a see-saw that is the bain of my existence! I have crashed spectacularly many a time on that damn see-saw haha

Two weeks ago we decided to go for the first time this season. Everything was going great until we attempted to jump into the foam pit. The foam pit is exactly what it sounds like, a giant pit filled with foam pieces designed to 'soften' your fall while attempting to perform a trick off a giant ramp.

For starters, my boss accompanied us to Rays - he is a big mountain biker/dirt bike rider. He offered me his new bike to use on the foam pit jump (you're not supposed to use the rental bikes because they could get damaged). Well on my way up the ramp, my petal caught the lip of the ramp and the bike did a complete 360 with my behind as the focal point!!! The chain came flying off the bike and I barreled face first into the foam. I was hurting... (I thought I broke my arm - but X-rays two days later assured me that it wasn't broken - I'm just a weiny). Of course that didn't stop me from doing it again!! The second foam pit jumps we got on video..... (I had to do it with the rental bike though, my boss wouldn't let me use his again haha)

First of all, here's what it looks like with someone who knows what he's doing:


Here's ME:


My friend Steve:


And last but not least, Erik (who is obviously better than Steve and I):

2 comments:

Bob Welch said...

I love the guy who knew what he was doing! Cool!

Charlie said...

That is the coolest place I have ever seen. I need to be there. Now!!