Sunday, April 5, 2009

Shadetree Mechanic I

I've been driving on a bad driver's side CV joint for almost a year now. It has been getting even worse over the last couple of weeks -- popping, vibrating, and shuttering while I drive. Come to find out, my make and model car is notorious for burning through CV joints. The passenger side one was replaced last February, but after spending $800+ on it - would have been even more expensive had I taken it to the dealer - I was convinced to try to replace this one myself.

BMW wanted $647 just for the part (of course you can't just buy a CV joint, you must buy the entire axle assembly) so I found an aftermarket, no-name brand axle assembly on the internet for about $150. I was a little leery at first, but after searching the internet and finding only positive reviews of the part and the company, I figured it was a safe buy.

I persuaded one of my buddies, Stephen, to help me with a case of Sam Adam's White Ale. It took about 5 hours of head-scratching, wrench-turning, sledge-hammering, and propane torch-wielding but we were, unbeliveably, totally sucessful.

Here is the new axle, complete with pre-greased inner and outer CV joints.

It took a combination of heat (propane torch) and cold (aerosol freeze spray) to get the spindle nut off the old axle.

Here's the new axle with the wheel hub and brake rotor re-installed. (You can see the brake caliper hanging from the shock tower by a metal coat hanger.)

No comments: