Sunday, March 29, 2009

New Orleans: French Quarter

The French Quarter definitely lived up to all expectations. I first went there Friday late morning to check out the neighborhood before all the craziness really got going. Even then, it was packed! My first objective was to EAT. I found a great little outdoor cafe that served a southern style breakfast, buttered grits and biscuits 'n gravy, and even had a live band playing on the patio. Music was a reoccurring theme throughout the day's exploring. It seemed like every street corner would have some kind of musician or band playing. And every few hours a marching band would go parading down the streets.

Here are some cool pictures from the French Quarter.

St. Louis Cathedral as seen from Jackson Square.
Wrought iron balconies are a big part of the local architecture.


It seemed to me, that the French Quarter has three main draws: Cajun/Creole food, music, and booze. I sampled all three and was not disappointed.

As far as food, I had crawfish, gumbo, jambalaya, andouille sausage, crawfish etouffee, and pralines. Each was awesome (unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the food, so I can't mimic Uncle Bob's blog in that regard).

Nighttime is when Bourbon Street really comes alive... It was the biggest party I have ever been to in my entire life. The only basis of comparison I have is a Rochester East End Fest -- it was like that, only times 1,000,000. It was nearly impossible to stay together with your group as you meander through the crowd. We stopped in many different bars to try all their signature drinks: Pat O'Brien's = Hurricane, Tropical Isle = Hand Grenade, Fat Tuesdays = Daiquiris. (Interestingly enough, Fat Tuesdays is the bar I was trying to gain entry to when I was arrested in Tempe, AZ). Here is Kelly enjoying a Hand Grenade.
Some assorted pictures from Lundi Gras (the day before Mardi Gras).





2 comments:

Molly said...

Can't wait to go to New Orleans in April - great posts about the Big Easy!

Bob Welch said...

If you don't have the pics you need you can get search for them on Google and select the Images button. Photos will come up. Select the photo you like and right click. Select Save Image As. Save as a .jpeg. Also search on Flikr. Or buy a tool called SnagIt which will let you capture images by grabbing a screen shot. If you use other people's photos just give them credit. That's what I do.


By the way you HAVE TO print & frame that St Loius Cathedral photo from Jackson Square. It's awesome.