Last weekend I went to Florida!! In the interest of full disclosure, I didn't go to Daytona, Tampa, the Keys, or anything like that. I went to The Villages! haha My fraternity advisor Gary Kadow moved down there a few years ago from Buffalo. He's been bugging me ever since to come down for a weekend.
If you haven't heard of it, The Villages is a retirement community. But, it isn't your stereotypical old farts home. There are 73,000+ residents (5th largest city in Florida), 42 golf courses, restaurants and shopping galore, and you can get absolutely anywhere by golf cart. How do you know you're in a retirement community?? Most of the women can't get pregnant and most of the men look like they are....
Gary and I became pretty good friends during my year and a half tenure as Fraternity President in Alfred. He always dispensed lots of needed advise, and even got me out of a couple tight spots (I know, hard to believe!) We've stayed in pretty close contact over the years so I figured it was time for a visit.
I flew down for a long weekend, Friday to Monday. The weather couldn't have been better -- it was 77 to 80 degrees everyday. I played golf every day (the courses were gorgeous!!) Believe it or not, I actually golfed pretty good! Even chipped in from 30 yds away for a birdie on a par 5...has to show off to the old timers!! haha
The funniest thing about the trip was watching the senior citizens zip around in their golf carts. Most of them are PIMPED. Gary's was a four seater with a built in CD player and wood trim. Some carts were custom built like old model cars -- these could cost up to $30,000!!!!!Here are some golf cart pictures, look closely in the trunk of the yellow "sedan delivery"



The best way I could describe The Villages is as a Fraternity house meets a cruise. All anyone does is eat, drink, golf, relax, and party -- I'm officially ready to retire
1 comment:
That's great! lol
Post a Comment