Monday, September 21, 2009

5/6ths

I just read Charlie's great post about accomplishing his 2009 cycling goals -- Hell of a job! -- and figured I would chirp in with one of my own. (Speaking of cycling goals, I'm getting the itch to get a road bike -- don't tell my Mom though haha)

Anyways, I've been going to the gym, running, and mountain biking for a year and a half now. When I moved to Ohio in Jan '08 I weighed 231 lbs. Back in May, I set a goal to get down to 195 lbs by mid-August for a camping/canoeing trip. Unfortunately, I didn't quite make it to my target weight... but I got close. I got down to 199 lbs. I figured that was close enough... It was the first time I've been sub-200 since 2003 (second year at Alfred State).

Last week, I stepped on the scale at the gym and had a heck of a surprise. Not only have I met my August goal, but I had exceeded it. I weighed in at 191 lbs!! That means I've lost 40 lbs in a year in a half -- not too bad!! My Christmas list will have to consist of all clothes because nothing fits me anymore. (I was happy to get Papa Welch's dress shirts and winter jacket, but I can swim in them now as they are all XXL)

Now that I've essentially lost 1/6th of my former self, my new goals are to maintain my lower weight, shave a minute-per-mile off my running pace, and ride the mountain bike trails even faster (without killing myself haha)

4 comments:

Charlie said...

Great Job Dan!! And, let me know when you are ready to shop for that road bike. Our secret.

Anonymous said...

Wow Dan! Good for you!! I bet you're a hottie!! :-) Donna

Bob Welch said...

Congrats stud!

Molly said...

Dan - you rock! Way to go! Awesome!